1863 Charter of the Sigma [now Pi Sigma] Chapter at the University of Pittsburgh

Abstract/Description: 1863 Charter of the Sigma [now Pi Sigma] Chapter at the University of Pittsburgh. This charter was granted to the Sigma chapter [now Pi Sigma] at what is now known as the University of Pittsburgh.

The charter was granted on October 2, 1863 and the chapter was locally established on October 15, 1863.

The "old chapter" known as Sigma existed from 1863 until 1870 when it closed. In 1884, the Wittenberg chapter was established and given the name Sigma. Reassigning chapter names was common at the time to "re-establish" the chapter name.

When the chapter was reconstituted by the 1916 Ekklesia in Cleveland, Ohio, the chapter was given the new name Pi Sigma.

The charter is signed by president Samuel D. Jennings (Jefferson College 1864) and secretary Thomas S. Bracken (Jefferson College 1865). These men were officers of the Alpha chapter at Jefferson College which was also the Grand Chapter.

Subject(s): Pi Sigma
Charter
Pi Sigma; University of Pittsburgh